Sunday, March 25, 2012

Graphing Activity with Jellybeans!

So, I'm trying to be a fun teacher this week, since it's Spirit Week AND the week before the glorious SPRING BREAK. Therefore, I thought...what the heck? Let's have some fun. I have a fun week planned in our literature study of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and our math topic this week is graphing and analyzing data. I stumbled across a cute idea for little kids involving jellybeans and I have tweaked it a bit to accommodate my big kids. I can't find the original link that caused my inspiration, but if you know who/where to find it let me know so I can give credit where credit is due!

We are studying frequency tables, line plots, bar graphs, picture graphs, line graphs, stem-and-leaf plots, and circle graphs. We are also working on calculating mean, median, and mode. For kids, I think this is one of the easier concepts because they have seen it in so many years prior to fifth grade.

I have made some cute little reproducibles to go along with my lesson I'll be teaching tomorrow. Not sure if anyone would be interested, but I'm linking to them anyways! Click here to check them out! You may have to download the original document to see it with the cute fonts!

Anywho, I'm off to work on some last minute test-prep station activities. I'm trying to get a routine established for that, since so much of my day is spent reviewing for the EOG! Does anyone have some great test-prep ideas to share? Let me hear 'em!

-Til next time!

Hannah

2 comments:

  1. Great idea! We just finished our spring break and I'm trying to think of ways to WAKE UP my kiddos Monday morning!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Blog! I am your newest follower!

    Adrienne
    Unless Teaching

    ReplyDelete