Friday, March 16, 2012

What a Whirlwind!

For those of you out there that have read the few posts I have shared in the blog world...I am still out here and alive! This first month and a half as a new teacher in fifth grade have been an absolute blur. I come home every day exhausted, but I absolutely love this experience. I am learning new things every day and, even though I am dealing with some pretty serious behavior issues in my class of 24, I think I am exposing them to some really new and exciting ways of learning. Sometimes I get hot and sweaty and nervous when I am about to introduce a new concept. And sometimes, it doesn't work out well. But then...sometimes it does. And when I succeed I am even more driven to do it again. And that is what keeps me going each day. It's not the students' grades (which aren't always what I wish they were). It's not all the love and appreciation I get from them. (They're fifth graders. They don't actively appreciate anything when it comes to school.) But it's the obstacles that we get over, the sneaky ways I hook them in and actually teach them, that matter.

I don't have pictures of things we've been doing because, at this point, I am focusing on my abilities to teach, monitor, assess, tutor, and manage my class. Taking pictures is a luxury that I cannot afford! Maybe one day! I would like to give a shout out to the blog that has really given me a lot of ideas that I have used and had success with. Stephanie Moorman over at Teaching in Room 6 has some of the BEST suggestions I have come across. I have adopted her Calendar Math idea and tweaked it a bit to make it work in my classroom. Here is the form that I have been using, just a slight modification of the one she shares in her blog. (Maybe that link will work...I am struggling still with these logistics!)

I am linking up with Lorraine over at Fabulous 4th Grade Froggies...so nice to have a place to find all upper grade bloggers! Look forward to getting inspired by your ideas...and maybe soon I will be posting some of my own thoughts and projects!


Anywho, I am going to hush and move on to my hours of blog stalking. Happy St. Patrick's Day to all!







9 comments:

  1. Thank you for joining my linky party! I'm your newest follower :)
    ~Lorraine
    Fabulous 4th Grade Froggies

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm your newest follower! Thank you so much for following me. I look forward to reading your blog.

    Selina
    Classroom Magic

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your follow! I, too, started out teaching after school had already started! I started in September (school started in August) and I've had to deal with several behavior problems in my class. I couldn't catch my breath until Christmas break, but it's been so much better since then. We've all gotten used to each other and figured out what works and what doesn't work in our class.

    Hope everything continues to go well! I'm anxious to keep reading about your fumblings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate your honesty in your post! I have taught for many years, and I still have weeks/months/years where certain things seem like a luxury! Keep plugging along. Your students will appreciate your consistency, and you will be glad for the learning experience. Just imagine how much less stressful next year will be now that you have already been through it once!

    Jennifer
    Lifelong Learning

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there! I can soooooooo relate to your posts! I am a fifth grade teacher (I've been at it a while), and I love this exhausting, overwhelming, frustrating, amazing, fabulous career also. :)

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found your blog through the linky party and look forward to stalking you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found your blog through the upper grades linky, and I’m your newest member!
    http://begborrowandteach.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi..I just found your blog through the link party. I am your newest follower! Come over and visit my blog when you have a chance.

    Sharima

    Lovebuglearning.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Luck!It looks like you might be in your second year of teaching by now. I have been teaching for 10+ years, and I still get sweaty and nervous some times. I love sharing ideas with new teachers. Stop by my blog if you have time. It has a little bit of everything. Caitlin (www.the-room-mom.com)

    ReplyDelete