Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Almost There!!!

I'm still hanging in there! These past 3 months have been an absolute whirlwind! However, despite all the nerves and tears and celebrations, I have almost got my students to the wonderful (sike) EOG test season! If prayer alone could get us there...my class would be good to go! Not the case though. So as it is, this little teacher is working her tushy off to get them all ready. Not an easy task! I am finding myself staying after school to tutor specific groups 3-4 times a week. During resource, during lunch, before and after school, I am working it. Is it working? Sure hope so.

This is what I want to know from you all...We put so much emphasis on "the test" and practicing for the test. I'm dying of boredom and I know my kids are too. So many practice testlets and sample questions are thrown at me (and them), and I feel like I'm drowning!! How do I make it fun, yet still effective? I'm doing hardcore review on geometric concepts (interior angles, complementary/supplementary angles, classifying polygons, etc.) and general reading comprehension and testing strategies. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks blogging friends!


4 comments:

  1. I am hoping prayer works, because we started today and that may be my only hope!

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    PS Check out my blog (from today) for a fun video about testing

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could play a game like jeopardy if you need to use the questions. Depending on the class, this can sometimes work well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey! I just gave you the One Lovely Blog Award! Come by to check it out! I am also your newest follower!


    Miss Elementary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this is late but maybe it will help for next year.
    1. Four corners: Students answer a question by going to different corners that are labeled a, b, c, d. Discuss their answers with their corner and be ready to justify their choice to the class.
    2. You give them the answers and they must explain why that is the correct answer using evidence from the passage in reading, modeling the problem in math, or referencing an experiment done in science. The key is having proof/evidence to support the answer.
    3. Work in groups and have them remind each other of the various strategies.

    I hope this helps with ideas for this up coming year. I am going to follow your blog. I would love to know how you have adjusted your teaching to ensure the success of your students. Stop by my blog at Teacherofscholars.blogspot.com. I'm new to blogging so there isn't much yet, but there is more to come.

    Katrina

    ReplyDelete