Saturday, January 19, 2013

She's Baaaaaack.

Holla, fellow bloggers! Last year's "fumbling" fifth grade teacher is back and better than ever. Here is a quick update of the life that I have been living since my last frantic, heartwrenchingly-stressed posts.

I am halfway through this school year with the first ever class that was mine from day one. I cannot even put into words what a blessing this school year has been. I love every single day at school and, even though I have some students that push me, I finally feel like I have arrived in the career that I was meant to be in. I am thankful for the struggles of my first few months, as they have shown me how apathy and a lack of innovation affect the behavior of young adolescents.

Here are a few highlights of my school year so far:

-SCIENCE. 

I have realized that I love teaching science, and I love how excited my students get during science class. We have learned so much about predicting weather, the water cycle, global weather patterns, physical and chemical changes in matter, friction, gravity, and SO SO much more. My kids always beg for science to come earlier in the day, and it makes my heart so happy.

-FUNDRAISING. 

I somehow managed to take on a coat drive benefitting Hurricane Sandy victims in Queens. It was one of my student's ideas, and I ran with it. It was a huge undertaking, but we ended up collecting 152 coats (along with some various other winter wear items). Getting the stuff shipped was a hassle, but I am so proud of my students for their giving hearts. And, not gonna lie; I'm proud of myself for actually making it happen.

-AWARDS. 

Y'all, this is big. One of my students nominated me for a local news stations "Teacher of the Week" award. Never did I ever expect THAT in my first year of teaching. I will be interviewed live on the news in March, and will be receiving $100 to use in my classroom. Again, just another one of those moments that made my heart smile. It does that a lot here lately. Here is a link to check out some of the other recipients this year. I will be up there soon!

-SINGING. 

I am the absolute worst singer in the world, but to my students, I am a rockstar. It is one of our favorite things to do. I have my students writing raps and songs about content topics. We also love just singing ones that other creative minds have thought up. Our favorite is Mr. Parr on YouTube, with some excellent science songs set to modern songs that kids love. Check him out!




In addition to this, my biggest accomplishments are the everyday interactions with my students. The letters they write me telling me how much they love me and appreciate me. The hugs I get every morning. Being told I am the best teacher a child has had. Having a parent thank me because her child doesn't cry before going to school this year. Helping a student earn her first ever 100 on a math test. Overhearing a child tell one of his friends in another class that "Mannnnn, Ms. Evans might be annoying, but she's on my side." Getting at least one King-Sized Kit Kat Bar every week, because my kids know they're my favorite. Seeings smiles on their faces throughout the day, and having them tell me, "Wow, today flew by!"

Bottom line? I love my job. Teaching is the profession where my mind, body, and soul thrive. I feel so honored to do what I do, and I truly wish everyone could find this happiness. My most frequent prayer is that I never forget the way I feel right now about my career. That I never become jaded and pessimistic and apathetic. That children always feel the fire I have inside, and that they never question my dedication to making sure they learn. I love my job. I hope I always do.

Anyways, now that my mind is less riddled with frets of exhaustion and stress, I am aiming to be a more active blogger. If only for my own posterity. I am hoping to update with my lesson ideas, and to become more a part of the blogging community. Here goes.

xox Hannah

3 comments:

  1. Welcome back! Can't wait to read more. Congrats on your nomination. I think that speaks volumes about you and the connections you've made with your students.
    Learning in Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah:

    Glad to hear from you!
    And delighted that you are enjoying teaching.
    I'm convinced that a steady supply of KitKats can carry me through anything.

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I stumbled upon your blog today and am now your newest follower! I looooove the chair covers you made for your students' desks! So cute!
    Bethany
    FabandFunin4th!

    ReplyDelete